22 February 2008

An Open Letter From Lance

Those of you who know me know that I totally want to kick the crap out of cancer, what you might not know is I am also buried on any given day with politics or advocacy. That's only important in this sense, I'm no doctor, so that's out. I'm no chemist, that too is out. What I feel I can do, and what everyone out there could and should do is this; we need to band together with time and money to kick cancers ass! I think a lot of people want to do a lot more that they do for causes they feel passionate about but they don't. Furthermore a good portion of the time it's not their fault, they just don't know where to start and how to go about making change happen. If you want to help make a difference, know that it could be as simple as $5.00 to a cause, or an hour of time, or even 15 minutes to write a letter to your government officials to share what is important and on your mind. If you are interested in contacting your officials is it very easy o find out how to reach them online, heck drop me a line in my contact me in the upper right hand corner and I'll help. It doesn't take a lot to make a difference!
A big part of what sparked this is a form letter I got today from the LAF Folks, here it is (below) please take a minute to read it, and check out their site LiveStrong.org

Right now, the nation's eyes are on Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania and several other states that have not traditionally played a deciding role in presidential primaries. In my hometown of Austin, the airwaves are flooded with commercials, the candidates are everywhere, but what's missing is an honest dialogue about how to fight cancer.

Yesterday, I was convinced we had done enough to start that dialogue at the Democratic debate. I submitted an op-ed to the Austin American-Statesman: Armstrong: Candidates, Texans have spoken: We care about cancer. The LIVESTRONG Army took to the streets. I called in every favor I could think of.

Yet despite our efforts, here in my own city – where my Foundation is headquartered, where thousands have turned out to support our cause – we still weren't able to get the candidates to tell us what they'd do about cancer.

I said a year ago that I was getting impatient, and now I've flat out had enough.

I've had enough of the media and candidates ignoring the 560,000 Americans who will lose their lives to cancer this year. I've had enough of the blatant disregard for the nearly 12 million cancer survivors alive today and the challenges that they still face. I've had enough with a government that says cancer is a problem but won't fund the necessary research to make any real advances.

I've had enough, and I need your help.

If you are getting this email we know that (1) cancer has affected you in some way and (2) you live in a state that has yet to vote. I need you to help me get the candidates on the record. Flood their rallies, attend their debates, overwhelm their town halls and ask them one of these questions:

"What would you do to decrease cancer deaths in this country?"

"Would your administration be in favor of a national ban on smoking in public places?"

"If elected President, would you work to significantly increase funding to the NCI and CDC?"

Let's get the dialogue going.

LIVESTRONG,

Lance

No comments: