21 April 2008

Mountain Biking And The Weekend

So three of three days, counting Friday, I got out on the bike. Friday I went partly for distance and partly for hills. I took a route with one hill that is just, and will likely be for a while, the bane of my existence. But it went a lot better than I thought it would. I did make it a little better than half way up said hill, and actually felt pretty good, not like the first few times of getting half way and wanting to die. Mind you, it's not even that great of a hill, I'm just that out of freaking shape right now.
Saturday was short, but quality. It was rain all afternoon, which in and of itself isn't a big deal it's just to say, it meant theat there were no people walking, no annoying dogs, and most "normal" people who would bike stayed in. I had the trails to myself and even though I spent only about an hour, but it was all spent on getting up hills. Hills that I was in the middle ring, and winded at the end, I found myself getting up in the big ring, and was actually really psyched and ready for more each time. I came to the realization that all of the short jaunts, and even getting out if only for a few minutes really does add up.
Sunday was a nice few hours just getting out and riding. I didn't think too much about it. No "OK, so distance or hills riding" thoughts. I just got on and pedaled, and I rode far, on hills, wasn't winded, just enjoyed it. It wasn't like work, it was just nice and fun.
So, It's Sunday night and I sit here typing this. I'm spent, I'm sore and yet I'm exhilarated and wishing it were still light. My knees kill, my calves are on fire, and I couldn't be happier. Now I just can't wait to see what effect all this trail riding has on my road rides this summer.

No comments: