07 December 2007

The Fight Against Cancer & Jon Huntsman

For those of you who regularly follow my blog, you know I have a fairly large (and probably a bit creepy to Fatty) fascination with Fat Cyclist’s Blog. Also, if you know of Fatty’s blog, you know that his wife Susan is fighting cancer, and according to Fatty’s posts she is kicking its ass! What you might not know, on a personal level, is I lost my father to cancer 14 years ago. He was 50 and I was 18. That’s really not so much important, other than to say that when I was young I donated a bit to Hospice, which was a huge help and blessing to my father and family, and more recently to organizations like Lance Armstrong Foundation and such when I have some extra money.
Susan was recently in a hospital for surgery called The Huntsman Cancer Institute. This was the first I had heard of the institute, started by a philanthropist by the name Jon Huntsman in Utah. The reason I mention this is Jon Huntsman was on Glenn Beck (TV show, CNN) Friday evening, and his story is an amazing one. If you are reading this they run the same show three times daily. I know the Eastern Standard Time is 7:00, 9:00, & 12:00; you would have to check CNN for times elsewhere, and also rerun various shows from the week on Saturday and Sunday if you can find it then. It is an awesome story of how Jon Huntsman started with nothing and turned himself into one of the 400 most wealthy people, and now feels it is “(his) DUTY to give back”. He says when you are blessed to get money it is your responsibility to give back, and boy does he ever.
He joked to Glenn that the institute “it’s a Ritz Carlton”, and that when people are “emotionally well served by friends and loved ones and that they be served good foods” they are more likely to strive to fight. They talk about the rooms, which Fatty raved about, and talked about how it’s the family that goes through cancer, not just the patient so it's important for them to have certain comforts as well.
One really cool thing that was mentioned is the fact that for the last six years they do a bike ride that goes 667 miles following route 50. I haven’t been able to find more information about this, but I’ll continue to look and post it if and when I find it. Likewise if you’ve heard of this please post a comment in the comment field.
As a final note, Jon was asked by Glenn “you’re going to die a broke man aren’t you?" His response, “I hope so. I came into this world without anything and I plan to go out without.” In the next 18 months Jon is going to be giving approximately TWO BILLION DOLLARS of his own money to further research and to fund the institute.
Jon, if somehow you read this or hear of this God Bless you brother, thank you for doing what you do, and keep up the amazing work!
I’m going to stop here. I just can’t do the program justice to be honest. I encourage you too try to find it on TV, take the hour out of your life, and watch the show. You’ll have a whole new respect for Jon, for what Susan and family are going through, and for the pains of cancer.
If you are interested in helping in the fight against cancer I’ve some of the organizations you can donate to are listed below. If you have the resources, you could give someone you probably will never meet, one of the best Christmas gifts ever!

Huntsman Cancer Institute
Lance Armstrong Foundation
Susan G Komen

1 comment:

Bluenoser said...

I wouldn't mind seeing that phun but I'm in the middle of nowhere with two channels and no cable. My Mom died also at 50 of a cancer related death. Thankfully a heart attack took her before it got any nastier. Sounds like a nice guy.

Later, going for some LSD today the weather is fit for a long ride.

-B